Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Color me happy!

Two weeks ago I was gifted with some pretty awesome stuff. Antique picture frames- very ornate- and some with just enough character (chipped plaster) to appeal to my style. A couple of  vintage candle chandeliers (do I leave them shabby off white or totally go wild and paint them in -your -face pink?) A few other assorted items and a stack of sheet music.

I have had quite a lot happening in the studio lately with getting the summer schedule figured out and a  counter filled with repair orders. So everything pretty much was left right where I put it when I walked in the door. I finally got it all organized and put away so it didn't look quite as much like a flea market in here.

As I was stacking the sheet music into a neater pile I unearthed these beauties.


I LOVE coloring books and these are even better because these are REAL MOVIE STARS.
OK- Doris Day not so much- I never liked her or her movies but Elizabeth Taylor and Esther Williams...HUGE SIGH.....

 I spent hours and hours with my box of crayons and coloring books. So imagine my genuine pleasure when I saw these. Yes some of the pages have been colored- by a very neat and particular young lady who put pieces of tissue paper between the pages she colored to keep them neat. OH be still my heart! I can just picture her in 1954-55 ( copyright of these books) in her rolled up dungarees and sneakers dreaming about movie stars. The Esther Williams book is not only a coloring book but also a PAPER DOLL book too with not one but TWO PAPER DOLLS! I loved watching Esther Williams movies- I couldn't swim but she made it look so glamorous and sexy. And none of them have been cut out. I am pretty sure she was saving them for a special occasion.

I f my mom were still alive I am pretty sure she would have told me she had coloring books just like them and maybe we would have sat down and colored some pages together. She often told me stories about writing postcards to MGM stars and getting autographed photos back in return and how she would spend Saturday afternoons at the matinees.

These coloring books are over sized with hard covers on them and the paper quality is so much better than what it is today.

Sigh.....color me  happy and oh so nostalgic

No comments: